On Wednesday September 19 His Worship presented the prizes for the 2018 Douglas in Bloom competition.
The contest challenges gardeners of all ages and abilities in the borough to submit their horticultural efforts for judging by Regeneration and Community Committee Chair Councillor Stephen Pitts and Graham Newsome from the Council’s parks service.
Ahead of the presentations Councillor Pitts offered his congratulations to all the entrants and thanked the sponsors Logistics Training Services, Sadler Agricultural Services, Shoprite Group, Strand Group and Watsons’s Nurseries for their support. In closing he remarked on the number of entries from local schools and encouraged more gardeners to consider entering next year to help make Douglas all the greener and more colourful.
Douglas in Bloom winners:
- Trevelyan Hotel – Hotels and guesthouses without gardens
- Paul Davies – Private houses with gardens
- The Lodge, Saddle Mews Village – Business premises
- Ballacottier Primary School – Public/community garden
- The Lodge, Saddle Mews Village – Best residential area
- Shirley Dale – Best Douglas Council property
- Next Step, Brunswick Gardens – Conservation, wildlife and biodiversity
- Eric Quine – Secret garden
- Rachel Callister – Most improved allotment
- Mr Glover – Most productive allotment
- Ballacottier Primary School – Overall winner, most imaginative floral display